GSTR 2 & 2A
Role of GSTR -2 for the registered dealer:
GSTR – 2 is a return document used by GST portal for giving Input Tax Credit in GSTR – 3 to the dealer. Hence, it is a very important document and due care should be maintained in filing this form so that we get ITC for which we are eligible correctly.
Inter – linking of GSTR 2 and GSTR 2A:
GSTR 2 and 2A are inter-link document. GSTR 2 can’t be filed without all information is captured in GSTR – 2A. In case any purchases are made from registered dealer, same will be auto populated in GSTR – 2A after due date of filing of GSTR – 1 is over. Any missing or incorrect information in GSTR – 2A may be rectified in GSTR – 2 in case of these dealers. Thus, GSTR -2 document can be filed only after due date of filing GSTR -1 is over.
Who to file GSTR -2A & 2 under section 38(1) – Details of inward supplies:
PART A – Filing of fresh return:
Every registered person, other than:
- An Input Service Distributor or
- A non-resident taxable person or
- Composition supplier under section 10 or
- A person paying tax under the provisions of section 51 (TDS deductor) or
- A person paying tax under the provisions of section (TCS deductor) 52,
shall verify, validate, modify or delete, if required, the details relating to outward supplies and credit or debit notes communicated in GSTR – 2A to prepare:
- The details of his inward supplies and
- Credit or
- Debit notes and
- may include therein, the details of inward supplies and credit or debit notes received by him
in respect of such supplies that have not been declared by the supplier in GSTR 1.
PART B – Rectification of return already filed:
Any registered person, who has furnished the details under sub-section (2) for any tax period and which have remained unmatched, shall, upon discovery of any error or omission therein, rectify such error or omission in the tax period during which such error or omission is noticed in such manner as may be prescribed, and shall pay the tax and interest, if any, in case there is a short payment of tax on account of such error or omission, in the return to be furnished for such tax period.
Errors or omission that can be rectified:
- Section 42: Discrepancy observed in the inward supply claimed by registered dealer with the corresponding details of outward supply furnished by corresponding registered person in the same tax period or earlier tax period.
- Duplication of ITC claimed
- Section 43: The details of every credit note relating to outward supply with corresponding reduction in claim for ITC by corresponding registered person.
Time limit for rectifying such errors or omission:
Provided that no rectification of error or omission in respect of the details furnished under sub-section (2) shall be allowed after furnishing of the return under section 39 for the month of September following the end of the financial year to which such details pertain, or furnishing of the relevant annual return, whichever is earlier
Form and manner of furnishing details of inward supplies:-
- Every registered person required to furnish the details of inward supplies of goods or services or both received during a tax period shall, on the basis of details contained in Part A, Part B and Part C of FORM GSTR-2A, prepare such details and furnish the same in FORM GSTR-2.
- Every registered person shall furnish the details of any mismatch electronically in FORM GSTR-2.
- The registered person shall specify the inward supplies in respect of which he is not eligible, either fully or partially, for input tax credit in FORM GSTR-2.
- The registered person shall declare the quantum of ineligible input tax credit on inward supplies which is:
- Relatable to non-taxable supplies or
- For purposes other than business and cannot be determined at the invoice level in FORM GSTR-2.
- The details of inward supplies of goods or services or both furnished in FORM GSTR-2 shall include the-
- Invoice wise details of all inter-State and intra-State supplies received from registered persons or unregistered persons;
- Import of goods and services made; and
- Debit and credit notes, if any, received from supplier